The Council for Foreign and Community Relations (COFCOR) determines relations between the Community and international organizations and third states and promotes the development of friendly and mutually beneficial relations among member states.
Specifically, Article 16 of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas (Link to Treaty), states the Council shall consist of Ministers responsible for the foreign affairs of Member States, who will:
- promote the development of friendly and mutually beneficial relations among Member States;
- establish measures to co-ordinate the foreign policies of the Member States of the Community, including proposals for joint representation, and seek to ensure, as far as practicable, the adoption of Community positions on major hemispheric and international issues;
- coordinate the positions of the Member States in inter- governmental organizations in whose activities such states participate;
- collaborate with COTED in promoting and developing co-ordinating policies for the enhancement of external economic and trade relations of the Community;
- coordinate, in close consultation with the Member States, Community policy on international issues with the policies of States in the wider Caribbean Region in order to arrive at common positions in relation to Third States, groups of States and relevant inter-governmental organizations; and
- undertake any additional functions remitted to it by the Conference arising undet [the] Treaty
- Each Member State shall be entitiled to designate an alternate to represent it on COFCOR.
Only Member State possessing the necessary competence with respect to the matters under consideration from time to time may take part in the deliberations of COFCOR.
Last Updated: 15 January 2016
- (2019/05/15) - COMMUNIQUÉ – Twenty-Second Meeting of the Council for Foreign and Community Relations (COFCOR), St. George’s, Grenada, 13-14 May 2019
- (2019/02/25) - Foreign Ministers meet ahead of CARICOM Heads Meeting
- (2018/05/09) - Communique: Twenty-First Meeting of the Council for Foreign and Community Relations (COFCOR), Nassau, The Bahamas, 7-8 May 2018
- (2017/05/23) - Council for Foreign and Community Relations (COFCOR) - Statement on the Situation in Venezuela
- (2017/05/23) - Communique - 20th Meeting of the Council for Foreign and Community Relations (COFCOR), Bridgetown, Barbados, 18 - 19 May 2017