Region to target growth opportunities in Services Sector
Posted in: Press Releases | 14 October 2016 | Release Ref #: 150/2016 | 2984
Stakeholders in the Services Sector across the Region will seek to develop Regional Strategies and Action Plans to boost investment, output, employment and trade in the sector when they meet at a Regional Symposium in Antigua and Barbuda, 17 – 19 October, 2016.
The event, which will bring together public and private sector representatives from CARICOM/CARIFORUM Member States will focus on increasing business in several priority areas including:
- Professional Services
- Information and Communication technologies (ICT)
- Financial Services
- Health and Wellness Services
- Cultural, Entertainment and Sporting Services
- Tourism Services, and
- Education Services
Head of Services at the CARICOM Secretariat Mr. Timothy Odle said the proposed Action Plans will set a benchmark to increase exports in these services by up to four percent per annum to help drive much needed energy in Regional economies. The plans are expected to target increased business and exports within the CARICOM Single Market and Economy; between CARICOM and the Dominican Republic which together make up CARIFORUM; between the CARIFORUM Member States and the European Union which has provided financial support to boost the Region’s trade opportunities with it; and between the Region and the rest of the world.
The Symposium will be chaired by Hon. Gaston Bowne, Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda and Lead Head for Services in CARICOM, who will receive the Strategies and Plans and also share his vision for the Sector.
An Opening Ceremony will be held on Monday 17 October from 9:00 a.m. at the Meeting Venue, the Jolly Beach Hotel, Bolans, St. Johns, at which Prime Minister Browne will be the Feature Speaker.
- (2016/11/23) - Trade in services workshop underway in Antigua and Barbuda - Read more ...
- (2016/10/19) - Services Sector Stakeholders to present actionable plans to Antigua-Barbuda PM - Read more ...
- (2016/10/18) - Creative mechanisms required to make service providers competitive – CARICOM Ambassador - Read more ...
- (2016/10/18) - Unlock the youth potential – Services Sector stakeholders urged - Read more ...
- (2016/10/18) - Services Sector critical to Region’s survival – Antigua/Barbuda’s Trade, Industry Minister - Read more ...